There are many factors to consider when choosing a CPU for a server or computer. All CPUs perform the same function, but each of them differs in their technical characteristics. In this article we will look at the main factors to consider when selecting a processor.
The most important technical indicator of each server is the number of threads, cores and clock speed. The number of cores determines the multitasking capability of the processor and the ability to process data in parallel. Clock speed, in turn, affects the speed of the processor. Do not skimp on this hardware, because the central processor is considered the heart of the computer system. In addition to the above factors, when choosing a processor, you should pay attention to:
- Purpose of use: Initially you need to identify the main tasks to be performed by the processor. If a CPU is needed for gaming it is best to choose a CPU with a higher clock frequency and core efficiency.
- Architecture: CPUs are forever improving, which leads to a new architecture. This in turn increases the efficiency of the part.
- Cache memory: The processor uses the cache memory as a temporary storage for information and is allocated by a fast memory transfer. If the amount of cache memory is large enough, it will definitely affect the performance.
- Budget: The most important parameter when choosing a processor. As of 2023, the CPU market offers a large selection of spare parts at a wide range of prices.
- Socket and solution: Not all processors are compatible with all computer boards. That is why you should check the sockets before making a final purchase decision.
The 3 best CPU for medium complexity
As an example we have chosen 3 most popular processors which can boast a reasonable price and great power. The first on our list is Intel Xeon E5-2699 v4 processor with 2.2 gigahertz. It is distinguished by 22 cores and 22 threads. The mentioned CPU can be installed on motherboards with LGA 2011-3 socket. Xeon E5-2699 v4 is considered to be a very popular solution in the mid-price segment.
|Title||Intel Xeon E5-2699 v4|
|Number of cores||22 cores|
|Clock frequency||2.2 GHz|
|Cache memory||55 MB of cache memory|
|Number of threads||22 threads|
Next in the selection is another processor from Intel, namely Xeon Gold 6148. It has as many as 40 threads and 20 cores. The base frequency of this CPU starts from 2.40 GHz and reaches 3.70 GHz when overclocked. This processor is included in the list of the best budget CPUs for servers.
|Name||Intel Xeon Gold 6148|
|Number of cores||20 cores|
|Clock speed||2,4 GHz to 3.7 GHz|
|Cache memory||28 MB of cache memory|
|Number of threads||40 threads|
The last in our selection is another product from Intel, which has gained great popularity among budget CPUs for servers - Xeon Gold 6248r. It stands out for its excellent performance, which is possible thanks to 24 cores and 48 threads. The clock frequency of this CPU starts from 3.00 GHz and is overclocked up to 4.00 GHz with the help of Turbo Boost technology.
|Title||Intel Xeon Gold 6248r|
|Number of cores||24 cores|
|Clock speed||3,0 GHz to 4,0 GHz|
|Cache memory||35,75 MB of cache memory|
|Number of threads||48 threads|